Just to give an update on the parking issue on Wood Lane. We have been making regular visits over the last few months to look at the problem at different times. Just in the last two weeks we’ve looked at it with Angela Kellett, chair of Rothwell Tenants and Residents Association, and also with Gary Bartlett, the director of highways for Leeds City Council and with Cllr Richard Lewis, the executive board councillor responsible for highways.
We have spoken to lots of residents about this and you understandably have strong, and varied, opinions on the subject. We have also asked for more feedback from residents on the proposed plans which highways had drawn up earlier after our initial meetings.
After giving this much thought and deliberation and considering everyone’s comments, we have decided to progress with the scheme of further restrictions. It does need different actions working together to try to improve the situation. These further parking restrictions will play a part in this.
We are also working with agents of Valley Park who are planning short term to increase parking at one of the sites, the Lowell group’s own offices, a possible short term increase of 106 spaces, and we are working with them to make this happen, and to look at increasing parking at other businesses and at possible options on and off site.
Residents tell us they think the parking problem is dangerous. We want to see the restrictions in place as soon as is practical. Safety is our number one consideration so these are the improvements that we have asked to be implemented as soon as possible:
To improve resident safety, including school children crossing:
- Stricter parking restrictions to reduce double parking and provide better visibility and access at junctions.
- Request for a pedestrian crossing, we’ve asked for a survey to be done to try to secure a crossing.
- We’ve asked Highways to look at better access for buses to get into and out of the bus stops.
- Work begins next year on Park and Ride car park at Stourton, which should alleviate some of the parking pressure in Rothwell including in the Wood Lane area
- Liaising with representatives of Valley Park to increase its parking provision on site
- Liaising with Valley Park to encourage employers to improve their parking policies, such as introducing better car share arrangements and allowing more staff to use current parking facilities (rather than just senior management).
- Regularly review the situation particularly any actual impact of the further restrictions on Wood Lane.
We know how frustrating a situation this is for residents which is why we’re determined that things should improve.
We want to reassure you that residents have our full support and we have been and will continue to do all we can to resolve this issue.